Thursday, September 5, 2019

Doors

I have been working of couple of doors.  The walk door on my garage/woodshop was a modern POS consisting of a wood frame stuffed with compressed wood chips sandwiched between two thin sheets of plywood.  The previous owners installed a cat door.  Moisture entered the wood chips via the modification and ruined the door.  I had planned on reskinning it but it was too far gone.

Rather than buy a new door I borrowed one from an old building.  The hinges were on the wrong side so I am flipping the hardware to make it work.

I have temporally hung the door.  It is a reasonably good fit for the opening but the opening itself needs to be shimmed in on the left top.

The old paint was so tick it was hiding the details on the trim.   I am using scrapers, citrustrip, and steel wool.  A light application of sand paper after that

If it were not for this gorgeous handle I may not have thought about using this old door.  The thumb latch mechanism needed cleaning.  It still maybe a challenge to get it all working.







I am also working on this modern door.  It uses a wood frame with a styrofoam core and sheet metal sides.  The wood frame is rotted on two side from use in a greenhouse.   I am chiseling back the rotted wood.  With some luck I can use it to to temporaly replace the front door while I restore it.










High temperatures are still in the 90s so I have cobbled up an evaporative cooler in the wood shop.

Both the pump and fan are powered via a GFI.














Routed out the rotted wood on the hinge end of the modern door.  About a foot on each end was rotten down to the Styrofoam core.  Glued replacement wood there and routed the entire thing again to make it level.  Glued a new wood edge on with Loctite premium construction adhesive.  

Removed the grills and the double pane window.  Window was horrid dirty.  Scraped much of the deposits off it but the inside seems to be dirty too.  It will never look clean but OK for a shop or garage.  

Found an old unopened can of Krylon fusion white paint.   Clogged in the first minute.  Running the can on the HF pneumatic paint shaker for 10 minutes and blowing out the nozzle made it usable.

Want to get back to the wood door.  So the plan is to mount this in the shop door way so I can get the wood one off to work on.  The latch hardware is still a mystery to me so it maybe in backwards for a while as I am swapping stuff around to make it hinge on the correct side just like the wood one.

Update:  Making progress.  Here it still need 1 more coat of paint and glazzing.

Prior to painting the mutins were loose.  No more.

Did some plugging and drilling to reverse the door.  Inside now outside sort of thing.

Glued up some redwood to extend the bottom of the door.  Pinned with 3 dowels. 


No comments:

Post a Comment