Tuesday, June 11, 2019

New Acquisitions

Honda 501 Tiller 
Yard Machine Tiller
Mantis Tiller, no tines
Snapper Commercial Mower -  this one surges
Other Mower
DR Trimmer -  A professional unit.  Wire wheels.  Need numbers.

Craftsman 35835028 42cc 18" chain saw
Saw runs with a squirt in the carb.   
Vibration isolater is broken. ereplacement parts has a kit
Need to test fuel system and carb prior to ordering parts.


Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Tempoary seat for Murray 39004

Found some pics from when I moved the tractor into storage.  A few days later we obtained a bunch of equipment and I had to move it outside. Still shuffling things about.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Briggs 8HP Gear Reduction 170542 0549 01

New engine today. Still looking to decode some of the code. Does not make sense. 170452-0549-01

EREPLACEMENT PARTS has a listing for  -99 suffix.  That is maybe the production line IIRC.  Many parts can still be purchased.  Need check this over see what it needs.  0.020 pistons are $78 LOL

Turns over with pull start. Seems to have compression.  Gear reduction maybe fooling me.

The recoil looks original or has been on the engine a long time.  I don't see an electric starter.

Have not checked out the gear reduction.    6:1 seems to be the common ratio.

Paper air cleaner.


Monday, April 15, 2019

Reversie electrolysis info

Just some notes on reverse electrolysis.

My tank is about 40x46 inches or 1840 sq inches.
1840/231 8 gallons per inch of water

about 1/4 cup of washing soda for each 5-gallons of water.
so  1 cup per 20 gallons.

cubic inches of my tank (to the level needed)
40x46x17 = 31280 ci or 135 gallons.

135/20 = 6.75 or lets call it 7 cups

1 cup of washing soda weighs 21 oz.

To convert baking soda to washing soda

Washing Soda Instructions
  1. Turn oven on 400 degrees F.
  2. Pour a thick (1/2 inch or so) layer of baking soda on the bottom of the baking dish.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, stirring 1-2 times in the middle, or until it has changed in look and feel. ...
  4. Let cool and store in air-tight jar.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

1982 Murray 18HP Briggs Opposed Twin

I did notice some vacuum on the hose that feeds the fuel pump.  Put some gas in the tank.  This was prior to the fire.

In addition to the steering that does not turn, the throttle and choke do not move.  The plan is to fix all this and maybe by then I will have a new extinguisher and feel up to trying the engine again.

Did go out this AM to give it another go thinking I would have the garden hose running nearby.  But figured it would be pointless without steering, throttle or choke.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

1982 Murray 18HP Briggs Opposed Twin

Its been a long time since a tractor followed me home, I have too many.  But I can't resist an oppy.  Especially when its in a garden tractor.

This one comes by the way of a local lawn care guy who does not use computers.   I occasionally order parts for him.  In this case it was a pair of spindles and in consideration for my effort he gave me this tractor.

It seems my little 12V winch that goes with my tractor snatcher trailer has gone into hiding.  In this case not a problem.  The tires aired up nicely and I was able to use the come along to get the front tires up the ramps then pushed it the rest of the way.  The steering wheel will not turn.  Something is frozen under the tractor.  Has a rag joint, maybe a steering box.  Doubtful but one can hope.

The transmission is a manual 5 speed as one would expect from a GT of that era.

The fellow I got it from said the customer that gave it to him said it ran when parked.  But since then there has been a lot of rusting and weathering in general.  The seat is as bad as I have ever seen.  The motor seems to be locked.

Surprisingly the throttle lever and ignition switch move.  Ah you need a closer look at the data plate.

I have not checked closely but the tractor seems to be complete but for the need of a new seat and the battery cover below the dash.

 A pair of pictures of it sitting in my drive way.

If the tractor turns out to be total junk I scored a pair of vice grips.

The first step will be to remove the deck and if possible free up the steering so it can be moved about.  Maybe free up the engine and see if it will fire.    At any rate it does sitting outside.  

Later in the day I pulled the cooling shroud and vacuumed out a mouse nest and most of what was blocking the cooling passages.  Managed to turn the engine by hand using the flywheel.   Rust between the flywheel and magneto was the main problem.  Removed the spark plugs and oiled the cylinders.  Turned it over without the plugs then ran it on carb cleaner for a few short bursts.   
Starter need to be refreshed.  It has dry bearing squeal.  Then move on to the fuel system.  The gas lines are not hard so maybe, just maybe, the fuel pump, lines, and tank are OK.


Went over the starter.   The bottom bearing was turning in the brush holder and one of the brushes was not moving because the brush holder is  broken.   Replaced the brush hold and lubed it.  Works fine.

I was running the engine on gas from a mustard bottle to get the fuel pump to pump gas from the tank.   Engine backfired and set the, tractor, me and the plastic bottle on fire.

Have burns and blisters on the fingers of my right hand top and bottom.  I am typing with it but its not good for much more for a few weeks;.  Have small burns from my chin to my head. Safety glasses saved my eyes, lens melted a bit.  My beard and hair may have sheilded me. Small burn on the bottom of my nose.  I will live but will never use anything but carb cleaner on a running engine.

No idea on the healing time. Weeks hope not months.


Soaked the spindle in the reverse electrolysis tank for 2 days.   Sharpened a chisel so it could be driven in behind the stuck bushing.   The bushing came off in two pieces.  New one is on order from ebay.