Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Motor Swap Trouble

Tired of fight with the 2 HP repulsion motor.   Have a Dayton 1.5HP that I can use at least until I find a 2 HP.  But 1.5 may be enough.

The problem is I hooked it up according to the motor label for 220V and it don't run.



Not sure why on "Hi Volts"  it says ungrounded side of line.  Neither phase is grounded and neither neutral or gnd are used.












I found this Dayton motor diagram and would like to see one for my motor with is a 1.5HP 6k7408 farm duty motor.

The diagram differs a bit.
6K7408: P1 P2 T2 T3 T4 T5 and T8
Diagram:  P1 P2 T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 and T8


T5 and T8 are the starter winding and that agrees with my motor.

Not exactly sure which are the run windings on my motor because there is no T1.







One would think that the motor should at least hum and it is not.  That would be the case if the centrifugal switch was stuck.

The plan is to check for 240V at the motor, drum switch, and breaker in that order.  If there is 240 at the motor then turn off the power and see if I can ohm out the run and starter windings.  No idea past that.

power checks out.  240 plus all the way to the motor.

Next Day:

I am guessing its a problem with the thermal or overload protection devices.  Have not had time to look at them.  Been looking into the repulsion motor.

Saturday June 2nd 

After taking another run at the repulsion motor, which failed, I am back to this 1.5HP.   The problem was a bad protection / reset  device on the motor.  Apparently it is an over temperature switch.  I removed it and found it was feeding the T1.  That gave me all the bits I needed to connect it without the busted device.  

Had to add a significant amount of weight to the motor end of the platform to tension the serpentine belt.   Have not made chips with it yet but it looks like it is working.    And "Oh Boy" is it quieter.   For that reason alone I don't want the repulsion motor on it.

Unfortunately that's about all the energy I have for today.   Maybe I rest up I can take a shot at making chips this evening.  Film at nine. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment