Thursday, May 31, 2018

Repulsion Motor Again


These are most likely the brush timing marks.   Strange to have adjustable timing on an electric motor.

One of the motor winding wires shorted out at the junction box and burned off.  I managed to trim enough insulation so I can maybe solder it.   But looking at it I need to clean it up first.


Going to try some carb or brake clean.  Need to use the hot air station to shrink the heat shrink because I don't want a lot of heat on the field windings.





Cleaned the wire with brake clean and soaked with a flux pen.   The crimp part of a spade connector was used to hold the wires together prior to soldering.  There are a few loose strands which I trimmed as best I could.

Two layers of heat shrink were applied over all the wires.  The wires I had previously marked with pink tape are now wrapped with red tape.

The wires are too thick to fit through the original fiber grommet.   The plan is to use silicone seal to lock them in place away from the metal housing.

I also need to reshape the junction box hole to ensure even bare wires have a hard time shorting to it.  But that's why we have a grond…

And after fixing all that I got it rotate the wrong way and kick a breaker in about 5 seconds.     The field windings have infinite resistance to the frame so it must be in the armature.    Now any bets that it will run if I remove the ground ?

No comments:

Post a Comment