Friday, June 1, 2018

Useing what I have on hand

This one sat in the queue a while.  It was written prior to the two motor posts. 

Figured out the tredmill motor uses a J profile or PJ belt.  Going with a 34 inch for a 7 inch pulley.

But the air compressor has a 40 in PJ belt and that could be used with a larger pulley.

Used the "Design IQ 3" program to figure out what size pulley I needed to make it work.



I selected a slide type belt adjust instead of what I have which is a pivot.  By using the slide I can specify the belt size and let the program tell me the spacing.  I adjusted the pulley size to get the desired belt length and pulley spacing. The belt adjustment is only half an inch.  So I am casting a 12 inch pulley and will turn it down till the belt fits nicely.  The program does not fully support imperial so its best to work in metric. AKA mm.


The pattern is two layers of plywood and spruce hub sandwiched together.   Layers were aligned with a dowel through the center.   My clamps did not have enough reach so I improvised.









ZNext I will attach it to the wood lathe's face plate and refine the edges for draft. I already hit them with the belt sander but they need to be better. For some reason I can not turn underline off.

Leaning against the bench there is a bit of plywood with UP (upside down).  Behind that plywood is the MDF I was planning to use.  Unfortunately I forgot where I had seen it.   Strange that it showed up here.

When I lived the Colorado I had a nearly endless supply of MDF and laminated covered material tossed out by cabinet shops.   Miss that.



Unfortunately my crucible was too small to pour this pulley even after I lightened it.   Plan B is to use an aluminum hub with a wood disk and rim.



No comments:

Post a Comment