Monday, June 4, 2018

Successfull Tenn Inch Pulley Cast

This is a pulley for the Master Mill.  I created this pattern and after 2 attempts at molding it gave up.   Today I gave it another try and although I still had some problems with the holes in the disc it resulted in what seems to be a useable casting.  It rings like a bell.




I did not use any fancy gating because I knew I had little or no aluminum to spare.   A small pouring basin feed the sprue which fed the gate.   When I did the pour the metal entered the mold very slowly.



I was thinking I made the gate larger than what you see here. The ruler in the above images is not useful.  A better size indication is given by comparing the gate to the pulley rim which is about 1 1/8" wide.

Whatever the cause it may have been fortuitous in that it slowed the molten metal when it filled the fragile mold.   Need to work on my sand's green strength.

I am starting to think that if you can't snap the gate off after casting its too large.  Yeah that too much of a generality but it is something to think about.

Tomorrow we clean up the casting.  The pulley as cast is nearer 11 inches but that is with the draft.  Some meat will have to be removed from the rim to get the belt I have borrowed from my air compressor to fit.








No comments:

Post a Comment