Sunday, August 19, 2018

Update

Last year I dried the sand on carboard sheets and the clay in plastic tubs.  Today I tried drying both on corrugated galvanized roofing sheets.  If I remember I will add pictures later.

 The sand was freshly harvested from the separation process.  It dried enough to where I could run It through my normal riddle if a bit reluctantly.  Switched to the 1/4" riddle and it was much easier.  The mix is mostly sand and a few rocks that the larger riddle catches.  So the end result is nearly the same.   Saved the small rocks for making thin concrete slabs.

The clay was pulled from the bottom of the processing tank.  Where I save the water that runs off the round tubs.  The clay settles to the bottom and I reused the water to wash the 'dirt' again, rinse repeat.
Anyway the clay is much denser but still wet as I write this.  I moved it into the shop so as not to loose it to rain which seems to be every other night.  Last two totaled 80 hundredths.

My hope is that the clay will dry in a form that is easier to powder than the stuff which has been allowed to dry to where it feels like pottery clay.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment