Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Lathe Carriage Stop

Two videos on this small project.


Constructed a carriage end stop.  The top half is cast aluminum and the bottom is  0.42 hot rolled steel.

The original plan was to have a bolt extend out from the stop and hit the carriage.  When I was about to drill the hole for that I noticed the bolt hole in the carriage.   Unfortunately it only contacts half the stop but that's OK`


Bolts are both 3/8".   Most other frequently used on the lathe use 1/2" wrenches.  At some point the top bolt head needs to be machined down to take a 1/2" wrench too.  Maybe even square ?

I still need to setup a DTI and bump the stop a few times to see if it creeps.  If so I may need to do some crude scraping on the V groove.   Other than that its good enough for now.   At some point I may make another one with a DTI and or multiple adjustable stops.



No comments:

Post a Comment