Sunday, September 23, 2018

Kerr 666 Part 1: Coil Repair - Fail




Today I attempted to splice the broken coil on the Kerr 666 but could not find my good crimping tool.   This will have to be redone.  Thinking of making a die to make sure the wires stay aligned.



Decanted the satanite into two 2 gallon zip lock bags with about 10 lbs each.   Thinking the second bag will keep longer if it is not opened until after the first is used up.   That is unless I do a big job and use it all up.  Who knows. PDF give a 1 year shelf life.

Started on the door tonight.   Both bricks are cracked, one is bad enough to fall out.  In use gravity would hold it in but I opted to repair it.   Buttered both edges and set them in place.  I neglected to wet the firebrick so I don't know how well this will work.

Next I applied water and wet paper towels to the door surface and let it rest about a half an hour rewetting the towels twice.

Where its possible I am going to soak the bricks in water from now on.
Mixed up a small quantity of somewhat stiff santanite and coated the face.  Ran a little short but it will get a second coat after it dries.  The brick face was a bit of a landscape.  Too much to level in one coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment