Thursday, May 7, 2015

Briggs 28M707 1186-E1 9711197A

Landed another Briggs 13HP L head.   The spark plug looked very good.














It has a broken rod but there is only minor damage to the bottom of the cylinder.

I need to inspect for cylinder wall scoring in better light but I am thinking it is good.













The rod journal is covered with aluminum.   IRRC some acide maybe muriatic will remove it.
Cylinder is a bit on the oval side in that it is .001" in the virgin area. Taper on the wear axis is .004" for at total of .005"

Go-putz's engine is about .013".




I have been saving old ziplock back from the kitchen and have made generous use of them while disassembly.

The oil in this engine was approaching the viscosity of jello.  Not sure what was going on with that.

Plan is to rebuild this engine using parts from one of the other similar engine.  The original piston and rings will be retained and no boring or honing should be required.  I am not sure if it will go onto go-putz or the  Murray 12.5/40.

So I will need a minimum of a pan and head gasket.  But first I need to get the parts washer going.

No comments:

Post a Comment