Friday, May 8, 2015

Briggs 31X707

Scored another of the OHV single cylinder briggs variety.  Have not looked at it much but it is in the 31 family but without pressure lube or filter.

Took it to the car wash and removed the head.  Definitely a busted con rod.





 Cylinder bore is .013" in the wear axis top and .002" at the bottom.  I will know better when I pull the pan and get a reading on the virgin bore area.  So the block would need a rebore to be useful.  I would rather spend the money on one of the similar engines with pressurized lubrication and oil filter.



Unfortunately I got oil on the camera lense at this point.

The head gasket was not blown and came off clean.  Good enough for testing another engine but I am not sure if it would be dependable.
The outside was covered with oil so I am guessing they were topping it off frequently.

My guess is that it started using oil and got so bad they ran it out of oil and blew the rod.





This makes my 4th engine in this family.  3/4 have worn out bores.

Engines of the 31 OHV variety
31A good condition unknown history, found junked
31B worn bore 200 hours from a JD Zero turn
31C worn bore (but running) in craftsman DYT4000
31D no pressure lube, worn bore, busted rod, unknow history

No comments:

Post a Comment