Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Murray 11/36 Carb, can it be saved?

After twisting off the long air cleaner bolt I wised up and started treating this carb with more care.   I heated the bowl nut with the propane torch and it came loose.






But wow what a mess of rust!  I makes me wonder why more of the carb is not missing.







After knocking out the loose rust it was subjected to the ultrasonic cleaner.  First tide then dawn plus ammonia.
The float was still stuck so I tried CLR for about an hour.  I did not trust to use it for longer than that.  It was still frozen.
We cut the top off a plastic peanut jar and filled the bottom with Pb Blaster.   My guess is that it would not pay to check it for at least a week but who can wait that long?  Not me.





Just for the record I want to mention that I also have this carb salvaged from a 11HP snapper RER on its way to the dump.  It too is a rust bucket.  I may subject it to the same treatment as the Murray's carb.  This carbs throttle shaft is on the loose side.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Looks like I only need to change the choke and I have that out of the Murray's carb just need to slide it into the one from the MTD.  But this thread will continue on the subject of saving the carb.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

The float hinge is still soaking in PB Blaster.  I don't know if additional soak time will help but what can it hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment