I obtained a new gasket and was given NEW updated torque and sequence instructions that supposedly B&S issued to combat this problem. The service manual has the torque at 220 inch/lbs for the head bolts. The new recommendation is to use 250 in/lbs in a new torque sequence. This is what I did. I put on the new head gasket and then the cylinder head and screwed in the head bolt finger tight. I then torqued them down in the following sequence:
6 2 4 8 3 7 1 5
at 80 in/lbs, then again at 160 in/lbs and lastly at 250 in/lbs. The same article say to lube the head bolt threads. Thinking anti seize will work best.