Saturday, October 10, 2015

DO NOT DO THIS: 31P head torque update

I would stick to the original torque spec unless you see different from B&S!

I obtained a new gasket and was given NEW updated torque and sequence instructions that supposedly B&S issued to combat this problem. The service manual has the torque at 220 inch/lbs for the head bolts. The new recommendation is to use 250 in/lbs in a new torque sequence. This is what I did. I put on the new head gasket and then the cylinder head and screwed in the head bolt finger tight. I then torqued them down in the following sequence:





6 2 4 7 1 5

at 80 in/lbs, then again at 160 in/lbs and lastly at 250 in/lbs.

The same article say to lube the head bolt threads.  Thinking anti seize will work best.

4 comments:

  1. Are the red numbers the new sequence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but the gasket I tried it on failed after 6 years. I would stick with the original torque sequence and spec unless you see different from briggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hearing that if on retorques the gasket to 220 inch lbs after the engine has been hot it will last.

      Delete
  3. im looking for the head bolt torque on a brigs 473177 0113-e1

    ReplyDelete